[Wikipedia-l] Re: Setting a new server in France for french wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Nov 11 21:19:48 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales wrote:

>>Under every interpretation of the Patriot II act, it is illegal to
>>acknoledge the existence of someone who has been detained,
>>eg. writing a biography about them.
>>
>Of course, that act was not passed, and is not law, so it's a moot
>point, but even so, I'd be interested to read more, because that
>sounds to me extremely far-fetched.  The Supreme Court would strike
>down a law like that before the ink was dry.

One of the big problems when this sort of thing happens, is the amount
of time it takes for things to work their way through the system, even
when there's no doubt that they will be struck down..  Until that
happens there is a presumption on the part of the bureaucrats and
administrators that they have the right to do what they're doing.

Ec