[Wikipedia-l] Disambiguation detector

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Thu May 29 16:39:16 UTC 2003

Kurt Jansson wrote:

> Ray Saintonge schrieb:
>
>> Erik Moeller wrote:
>
> >> However, I am
>
>>> also  thinking about having these segments be inserted as part of a
>>> general  category scheme, such as
>>>
>>> [[Category:Disambiguation page]]
>>
>> Much of this seems compatible to a suggestion that I made several
>> months ago:  To include a category box or boxes at the bottom of the
>> edit page.
>

> Magnus Manske schrieb:
>
> > For the disambiguation pages, I would imagine something as simple as a
> > "{{DISAMBIGUATION}}" variable
>
> Okay, this discussion is coming up again and again. I've said that I'm
> against putting more of this meta-information into the article text,
> but some people feel a pressing need for it. So how about adding an
> extra meta:-namespace were this information could be put in? So we
> could also get rid of the annoying interlanguage links on top of each
> article.
>
> This namespace could have some extra functionality like
> drop-down-boxes,  and some magic to *suggest* missing interlanguage
> links. And while I don't like the idea to have article ratings inside
> Wikipedia, but seem to be quite alone with this opinion, this could
> also be handled there.

To be perfectly clear, I am not saying that the category material should
be in the body of an article but in a completely separate box.  If that
fits in with your idea of a "meta-namespace" that's just fine.  The
interlanguage links have never bothered me, and I've always thought of
them more as a benefit than a problem.  However, in saying that I also
have to admit that I rarely use them.  Using drop down boxes for
interlanguage links would likely be just as effective.

I would also make a distinction between Interlanguage (IL) boxes, and
Index (IX) boxes.  IL boxes would involve links between pedias, so they
would need to be applied consistently in all the projects.  IX boxes
would address the requirements of a particular pedia, and its contents
could be fashioned to suit the needs of that community.  Wiktionary has
already developed many unique characteristics, so I am sure that it
would use IX boxes quite differently from the other projects.  It could
use the IL boxes to link to substantive articles arising from a word.

I suppose that some people mught interpret my proposal for XXX codings
as "ratings", but I also need to be clear that I think that dumbing down
an article in order to appeal to the most prudish elements in a society
does not have my support.  It will still be an individual human's choice
to put an XXX coding in an IX box, and I anticipate that there will be
edit wars over this kind of thing.

Eclecticology