[Wikipedia-l] Re: Two issues here: what is legal to have on the server and what is legal in the user's nation

Jimmy Wales jwales at bomis.com
Fri May 23 10:08:55 UTC 2003

This is getting pretty far afield from wikipedia issues, so we
should try to wrap it up or bring it back to something directly
relevant to wikipedia soon.

Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:
> Agreed. I just thought it a bit unfair to demonize the MPAA when
> for the most part it is the American public itself that's the
> problem.  Our prudery is not a case of an authoritarian minority
> oppressing the freedom-loving masses; it's a case of the
> authoritarian masses oppressing the freedom-loving minority.

American culture isn't prudish, it's self-contradictory and
hypocritical.  When I said that American is the porn capital of the
world, I meant it in terms of per-capita consumption and per-capita
production.

Adult entertainment is a huge and mainstream business.

"The General Motors Corporation, the world's largest company, now sells
more graphic sex films every year than does Larry Flynt, owner of the
Hustler empire."

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/10/23/technology/23PORN.html

So, yeah, there is prudishness, but there's also a lot of
non-prudishness coupled with hypocrisy.

--Jimbo