[Wikipedia-l] IP stuff

Guillaume Blanchard gblanchard at arcsy.co.jp
Fri May 23 05:15:04 UTC 2003

> > Hi all,
> > I don't think is the wrong place to ask.
> > I also think that hide IP to logged user led us to many problems we
didn't
> > encounter before the Phase III.
> > Here is the problems I see :
> > - Same user who use multiple identity to justify a pov opinion
> > - Same user who use multiple identity to make multi votes
> > - Vandale who use user account to hide its ip
> > As sysop I have no idea to how block a logged user even if he do massive
> > vandalism (except send a message to this list and pray for one of the
gods
> > can stop him).
> > I don't see any good reason to hide logged user IP.
> > It worked fine on Phase I & II, no ?
>
> Aside from privacy concerns, it would allow any sysop to ban any other
> user, which might cause problems. To alleviate these concerns, we could
>
> 1) store the IP number the user signed up with in his user data
> 2) allow sysops to look up the IP number of any user who has signed up
> less than a month ago.
>
> This would make it impossible for sysops to obtain ALL the IP numbers of a
> user, or to ban long time contributors, but still allow them to ban
> vandals effectively by IP address.
>
> Regards,
>
> Erik

Thanks Erik,
Your solution can handle punctual vandale attack (except if he registred
enough time before).
Personnaly I don't care everybody (not only sysop) can see my IP address.
I fell it really better than the bad ambiance created by suspicion between
users.
Do you had any problems in Phase I & II with IP address !?
Overall, I think there are enough sysop so if one sysop block unfairly an IP
address (I don'y see the difference with anonymous user block), and other
sysop can un-block it easly.
By the way, it may be a nice idea to show IP block in the Recent Change page
(do you already do?).
Regards,

Aoineko