[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] How to get the IP of a logged user ?

Oliver Pereira omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri May 23 02:52:36 UTC 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Lee Daniel Crocker wrote:

> I'm definitely with Cunc here on both counts. I don't have a problem
> with anyone being both a contributer and a subject--we've already had
> that case before, and it's no problem as long as the subject understands
> that the article about him in the main wikipedia space is not his
> personal page, and may be edited by others in ways he doesn't like.

I've been thinking about this myself. I certainly don't think that
noteworthy people should be excluded just because they are also
Wikipedians, but I can see that people might not trust people's edits to
articles about themselves, so I think maybe we should discourage people
from making such edits. Quite apart from the NPOV issue, I think we should
only include information which is verifiable from publically available
sources, and if people edit articles about themselves, they are likely to
include things which no-one else can check.

And on the same subject, I think that the founders of the world's largest
open content encyclopaedia could do with having their own articles. Would
it be possible to make [[Jimbo Wales]] and [[Larry Sanger]] into articles
instead of redirects to their user pages, or would that just mess
everything up?

Oliver

| Oliver Pereira                            |
| Dept. of Electronics and Computer Science |
| University of Southampton                 |
| omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk                    |