[Wikipedia-l] Sound on wikipedia

Guillaume Blanchard gblanchard at arcsy.co.jp
Thu May 22 16:42:39 UTC 2003

> 1) Ogg is recommended because it's a public standard,
> freely available on all computers. MP3 has patent problems,
> but is a de facto standard and should also be OK (if the
> only source material you have is MP3, don't bother recoding
> to Ogg as that will only reduce quality further). WAV is
> uncompressed, and therefore unacceptable except in the
> rarest of cases (I can only think of a few: like short test
> sounds in articles about digital signal processing).

sure wav's ADPCM is a poor compression ;o)
if I asked if we can use mp3 is mostly because ogg is not supported by
<embed>.

> 2) No, I don't ever plan to support embed. Sounds sould
> play on demand only. I do plan to make some nicer features
> for audio and video playback at some point.

<embed> can play on demand only -> autostart="false"
I suppose we can deal with sound without a player, but I think it's pity.
<embed> is W3C standard, isn't it ?
I don't know at all what percentage of browser support it,
but thank to <noembed> tag, we can manage all case. no ?

regards,

Aoineko