[Wikipedia-l] Getting rid of nicknames

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sat May 17 18:28:57 UTC 2003

(since my test worked I'm sending this again)

The Cunctator wrote:

>I'd say that people have been seriously abusing the nickname function.
>People really should not have nicknames that are significantly different
>from their usernames.
>
>People should not use nicknames that closely resemble other people's
>usernames.
>
>People should not use unpronounceable nicknames.
>
>People should not use nicknames that are made up of non-alphabetical
>characters.

Yup.
In itself, the nickname function is fine. Lee can sign "LDC", Mav "Mav".
Like many things, if it's used *responsibly* there isn't a problem.

Three options:
1. remove the function (ie, exercise "dev power" and remove it for all
the well-behaved people)
2. allow sysops / devs to edit the nicknames of users who are abusing
(sysop power)
3. suggest that *anyone* feel free to edit an instance of a  signature
that obscures the real user name, just by editing the wiki text. (people
power)

I'd say go with 3.