[Wikipedia-l] Re: A vision for wiki syntax, documented

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Fri May 16 09:00:50 UTC 2003

Lee Daniel Crocker <lee at piclab.com> writes:

> HTML fails to meet at least some of those criteria (notably ease of
> editing).

As often, I disagree.  It would be much better to go for a subset of
HTML "tags" plus shortcuts for [[links]].  Basically, H1-Hx, simple
lists, CODE, EM, B, I, P, BLOCKQOUTE, and PRE would do the trick.  Plus
tables, where necessary.  Plus BR, maybe.

Things like ==...==, ''...'' and the list codes in combination with the
line ending restrictions are not that easy to learn.  And don't for get
the indentations tricks.  Once the user gets these cryptic control code,
he must learn to use them properly!  And the nice thing about wikis is,
their is more than one, thus you are force to get used to more than one
wiki format ;-)

I'm pretty sure, HTML 2 (plus simple table tags) are not difficult
_and_ more rubust.  TEI-like tag names would even be better :)

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
ke at suse.de (work) / keichwa at gmx.net (home)               |   (*)/'(*)