[Wikipedia-l] A vision for wiki syntax, documented

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 08:36:30 UTC 2003

LDC wrote:
><http://www.piclab.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Wikipedia_Text_Syntax>
>
>So as I said, this is a vision. I invite comment
>and criticism. But I think it's important to
>Wikipedia's future that we do a good job of this.

I agree - but when you said "ALL HTML is forbidden" I went ahead and looked at
the table specification part of your document and saw some things that seem
rather Spartan to me. For example, the document doesn't indicate whether or
not nested tables would be allowed and it doesn't seem to say how one would
do bgcolor-type cell fills, or how to set border width.

If those things cannot be replicated in wikicode then all the
already-converted elements, country, ship, organism and battle tables would
be broken (not to mention the main pages of fr.wiki, ja.wiki, eo.wiki and
others - including a partially crippled en.wiki Main Page) . This would be a
very bad thing and I for one would be not be too happy if much of the work
I've done with the Elements project over the past year is destroyed (not to
mention the several other WikiProjects I helped nurture).

So if the table at http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryllium cannot be
replicated pretty much as-is in wikicode then I for will have a fit (I'm sure
many others will join me).

Also; if all HTML is going to be 'forbidden' then what do we do with all the
HTML we already have? Fire-up the Conversion Script again perhaps (just when
I was about to pass the damn thing on the Most Active Wikipedian's page! ;).

An alternative solution is to only allow HTML syntax to be rendered if it is
in a table:namespace page. So the HTML table code in [[Beryllium]] could be
placed at http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Table:Beryllium and in the Beryllium
article that table can be displayed by typing [[table:Beryllium]] (much like
the image:namespace now works). Your more simple table wikicode could then be
used for less complex and shorter tables.

That way the dense table code now in [[Beryllium]] won't be in the way of
users who are only concerned about editing the prose of the article (even a
wikicode table would be dense and intimidating to many people).

A more long-term solution is to have a WYSIWYG GUI - then grandma can edit
even a very complex table by clicking inside the cell she wants to write in.

Please forgive me if these things are already explained somewhere in the
document - I only had time to glance at a few sections.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)