[Wikipedia-l] call for speech for RMLL 2003

julien tayon julien at tayon.net
Wed May 7 20:51:47 UTC 2003

Hello,

This message is especially for wikipedia users that would be close to
Metz in july (9/10/11)
http://wiki.ael.be/rmll2003
while the 3rd Libre Software Meeting will take place.

With libroscope team, we are leading a topic on
« Le libre, au-delà du logiciel (Extending Free Software principles
beyond the IT sphere) »

http://wiki.ael.be/rmll2003/index.php/FreeSoftwareBeyondIT

I am looking for a wikipedian speecher for this theme.

As a lurker^H^H^H chaotic contributor to wikipedia there are a lot of
points that makes me think wikipedia is legitimate on this point :

- sharing the knowledge using mechanisme closed to libre software
methodology (letting anyone contribute and using peer review)

- benevolent dictatorship model (Hi jim) with trusted lieutenant (like
youssefan, alvaro, aoineko, ant ... for the one I know) ;

- focusing on user and the ease of use rather than technology ;

- making contributor have good practice by social engeneering
(discussion, NPOV..) rather than with software implemented rules.

- web/email centric coordination (the virtual roof)

- from Kaos Management to  Knowledge Management ;)

- a living proof wiki technology can give large scale structured website
:) : you don't need complex technology to build large KM database.

The last point is  the one I really like :
focusing on peopleware seems to be a far better approach than focusing
on a pure technological approach to build such a large scale project.

Anyone interested, and available ?

I have missed some points I know, and I would be glad to discuss it with
you.

PS as a matter of fact, I guess that wikipedia is such a rich project
that it could be appropriate to do  more than one speech :)

As an individual I would be really interested in a conf on the
architecture and the technological aspect though it is not the topic I
work on.

PPS je parie que ça va se terminer à pas d'heure au bistro encore :)

--
Julien Tayon
http://www.tayon.net/			       http://libroscope.org/