[Wikipedia-l] I like BBS:es

Björn Lindqvist bjrn.lindqvist at telia.com
Tue May 6 23:59:49 UTC 2003

Why I prefer BBS:es:

1. Discussion is closer to content because both are webbased.

2. Threads can be followed more easily. There is no way that a
mailprogam can figure out in which thread this reply belongs to for
example because I use digest mode.

3. I can edit my post after it has been written, if that feature is
desireable. This also means that post publishing moderation will be
easier which is preferable to prepublishing that a mailinglist requires.

4. How does this look?:

quotation
bla<hej>weird eh?>

5. From time to time there comes someone who replies to the whole digest
without deleting anything.

6. I dont have to read "Do you have Yahoo?" 2,000,000 times.

7. Many users use the Internet at work or school where they dont have
access to mail only to the web.

8. Using webmail like Hotmail is not fun to read mailinglists on. Your
mailbox fills up with spam instantly and the interfaces are usually very
cumbersome.

9. Because I can write down all the e-mailadresses i get from the list
and spam you with penis-enlargements. Bush could easily track all Afgan
terrorists on this list down if he wanted to - would be much harder on a
BBS.

10. I have to wait a day for new letters to arrive because I use digest
mode and if I dont my mailbox will get clogged. BBS:es enables immidiate
response.

11. When many topics is discussed simultaneously it becomes very hard to
follow the threads on a list. Not so on a BBS.

12. Mentioning offsite mailarchives is out of question imho. No sane
person should need to or want to use that.

13. No bold or italic style.

I for one would love to have some kind of messageboard instead of an
antique mailingsystem. Both the mailinglist and the talk-pages are so
cumbersome, there should be an EASY way to discuss!

BBS:es are not perfect either, if anyone remembers Fidonet it had an
ultimate messageing system but it not an option. They have their flaws
but it is the best alternative. And usually; Mailinglist = intelligent,
low traffic BBS = dumb, high traffic and thats also something to consider.
I think its the way of the future.

Björn Lindqvist