[Wikipedia-l] Categories: An implementation

Neil Harris neil at tonal.clara.co.uk
Fri Jun 13 22:07:43 UTC 2003

Magnus Manske wrote:

> Categories are my implementation of the filtering issue, something
> that would be quite difficult with lists. It could also work to tag
> images as "GFDL", "public domain" or "fair use". It can also replace
> the lists. So, if we implement a filtering option anyway, why not use
> the opportunity?
>
> Magnus

Magnus,

My comments were not meant to criticise categories, or your attempts to
make an implementation.  I'm a proponent of categories: I think they can
serve useful purposes. I'm also grateful you are actually exploring the
problem space, instead of just talking about it like the rest of us.

I think the [[List of XXX topics]] categories are very useful, and
having a pointer from the category list to the article is the natural
way to do it: it also handles the case of making a category for a
non-existent article.

But it would also be nice to flag an article for membership in a
category list by adding a back-link.

The huge maths topics article shows that the "flat article" approach
does not scale well for very large lists: there are two possible routes
to making this better:
either

i: fixing the scaling problem for articles with very large lists of
links, or
ii: a special implementation for category lists

Neil