[Wikipedia-l] Re: About copyright violations

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Wed Jul 30 06:28:03 UTC 2003

David Grant wrote in part:

>I would like the template for every article to be altered, to include
>something similar to the following: "This is licensed under GFDL...if
>you with to copy this article, go ahead...but you are required to
>provide a link to the GFDL... and you are required to link back to the
>original article..."  That is essence of what needs to be added to the
>template for every Wikipedia article.  This is in order to stop the
>ripping of Wikipedia articles without full copyright/license compliance.

But they are /not/ required to link back to Wikipedia!
They're required to list up to 5 authors,
and linking back to Wikipedia is the easiest way to do that.
To avoid making people stop believing us, we must separate:
* You /must/ release your version under the GFDL; and
* We /advise/ you to link back to the original Wikipedia article.

More comments on the meta page (possibly, if I get to it),
about ideal wording and the like.  I do agree with you in general.

-- Toby