[Wikipedia-l] Re: Web of Trust (Wikipedia-l digest)

steve vertigo utilitymuffinresearch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 29 21:34:55 UTC 2003

Note* People, perhaps it would be a good idea to
change the subject header to something intelligible
when responding to/from a bulk-digest email. Thanks.
-----

>Schewek
>What about a 'web-of-trust'?

I kinda like the general idea of this, but have rarely
seen it implemented to its full potential. Either its
black and white or too superficial to mean anything.

This approach would probably best manifest itself as a
"temperature rating" for articles that is set by users
as they read (not edit) articles.  This rating can
then be used as a variable in a search/tour so that
users can get to what they want quicker.  The ratings
could be sliders set for various factors, most
prominently -- "quality, usefulness, completeness,
favorite" etc.  (Now it becomes clear how *subjective
these determinations are)

And since "perfection" is only the permanent and
unacheivable goal -- the God infinity which we use as
a reference point in our calculations and
factorizations  -- we can stipulate (in our thinking)
that this "perfection" is the common goal -- and that
true perfection is not to be achieved by being
classist about the approach. The more open the better,
and the is the more beautiful approach is the one that
is most minimal and least obstructive. Wiki101.

-S-