[Wikipedia-l] Do we really need a Sifter project?

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Sun Jul 27 19:59:00 UTC 2003

Delirium-
> This could all be done on the Wiki, but if the stable distribution is to
> be anything but a tiny subset of Wikipedia, I think some more software
> would be necessary.  Some automated method by which the software keeps
> track of submissions and comments would be helpful.  One possible method
> -- anyone can nominate a particular version of an article, and anyone
> can post replies to the nomination that are tagged either "support" or
> "oppose" (or "neutral").  Any nomination with no "oppose" comments
> within some certain period of time is automatically added to the stable
> version; the ones with opposing comments are dealt with more manually in
> the usual wiki way, added if it's been determined a consensus has been
> reached, or the nomination withdrawn if a consensus against is reached.

It is hard to say whether such an addition would actually simplify things,
since every new interface is a new barrier to entry. On the other hand, if
it would make things easier, it should be part of the standard Wikipedia
software, because it would be useful for semi-automating other Wiki
processes as well -- "Votes for deletion", "Requests for adminship" etc.
If "Brilliant prose" does not scale as a selection mechanism, then "Votes
for deletion" does not scale as a deletion mechanism -- the two are
virtually identical in terms of process.

It is harder to find solutions that are well integrated into our existing
wiki framework than to start a separate project, but the potential
benefits are far greater, especially because there will inevitably by
<marketing>synergy effects</marketing> for the project as a whole.

Regards,

Erik