[Wikipedia-l] Sifter project comments

limholt at excite.com limholt at excite.com
Sun Jul 27 17:51:42 UTC 2003

Catching up on my e-mail, I've read a lot of comments and discussion on the various proposals. Rathe than trying to fit into dying threads, etc. I'm going to toss ib my six cents worth (3 comments) in this one message.

1. We do need a sifter project and a stable base. As more outside references (google, web sites, etc.) point to Wikipedia, I'd like the casual reader/browser to find a worthwhile product.

2. I'd like to see the electronic version kept under the Wikipedia brand. I understand the desire to see Wiki as Wiki friendly, with open edits, etc., etc. and the desire for a stable base. However, bear in mind that serarch engines and reviewers look to site hits and visit totals. I'd prefer something like -- http:/en0100.wikipeda.org/wiki/Article.htm -- rather than to dilute us through multiple domains.

3. The BP process seems OK, adding some controls to limit access and movement (syssop status?) to the en0100 (version 1.00) protected pages.
Technically, the en000 page doesn't need to be a database entry, just a reference to the time stamped page.

Thanks for a lively discussion, I will now resume lurk mode.

Regards, LouI