[Wikipedia-l] PNG format???

Richard Grevers lists at dramatic.co.nz
Fri Jul 25 08:53:11 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:11:07 EDT, <Ralphem at aol.com> gave utterance to the
following:

> Eric,
> There is a basic problem with your logo, logo contest, and use of art in
> general -- a good number of us out here cannot see them! ALL of the art
> on your pages discusssing the logo contest come up with a red X in place
> of the art. You discuss the fact that you want all logo designs in PNG
> format, but this is a format that not all systems (Mac) and not all
> browsers (AOL 5.0, the only software available for older Power PC Macs)
> support -- so you are cutting out a sizeable portion of potential
> viewership.
Are you sure about that? It sounds very strange to me, because for years
Windows users have had to put up with the default viewer for png being
taken over by that most famous piece of cross-platform Appleware,
Quicktime.
And last time I checked out Opera 4 and 5 on my crusty old 75MHz MacpowerPC
it was showing pngs just fine and dandy (except for alpha-transparency,
which came with Opera 6, but you won't find many alpha-transparent PNG's on
the web anyway given that MSIE can't handle them.

--
Richard Grevers
If at first you don't succeed change the rules.