[Wikipedia-l] Re: Wikis and uniformity

sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca sgilbert at nbnet.nb.ca
Thu Jul 24 15:43:06 UTC 2003

Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> > I think that if Wikipedia ever puts out a "stable" version for
> > distribution, the articles should be structured with XML. That's a job
> > for dedicated editors with a good knowledge of document structure.
> > Forcing it on the live wiki would, in my unproven opinion, by harmful.
>
> Perhaps.  Nevertheless, I'd like to give it a try; I'm seriously
> interested in a Wiki using the TEI DTD as its markup language.
> Unfortunately, my resources (time, knowlegde in hacking) are too
> limited to such a project come true on my own.

That would be interesting... and a lot of work. You would want
some editing tools that go beyond what the typical wiki provides.

b schewek wrote:

> Maybe the 'textbook' would be interested?
> They were/are discussing the 'print' business.

I believe Nupedia (Wikipedia's parent encyclopedia project) used
XML markup. That project had a division of labour between writers
and editors: the former simply wrote the articles, while the latter did
all the fancy markup.

Stephen G.
-------
Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia