[Wikipedia-l] New stuff on test.wiki

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Mon Jul 21 09:02:00 UTC 2003

The test.wiki at

        http://test.wikipedia.org

has now a bunch of improvements/changes:

1) The default skin has been somewhat modified. I made the borders
thinner, and added a box around the footer to separate it from the article
contents. The font size of navigational links is also somewhat smaller,
and the background color for non-article pages (special pages) has been
changed to a light metallic blue.

2) You now get a "Post a comment" link on discussion pages. This takes you
to an empty edit screen with a subject line. The subject line is used as
an edit summary and is added as a ==headline== on top of the edit. The
edit is appended to the current page.

3) There's now a cool way to edit sections: Instead of having ugly [edit]
links next to each one, you can enable a user preference whereby you can
edit sections by right-clicking on them. This only works in Mozilla and IE
to my knowledge.

4) The Table of Contents can now be suppressed by adding the text
"__NOTOC__" anywhere on a page. Note also that Brion and I wrote a
JavaScript that allows you to dynamically show/hide the TOC on the page.
The TOC itself has been slightly changed, with smaller font and a centered
headline.

Please report any bugs or objections, otherwise the current version of the
code on test.wiki will replace the live version running all wikis soon.

Regards,

Erik