[Wikipedia-l] Wikis and uniformity

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 19 21:54:52 UTC 2003

Rotem Dan wrote:
>Each wikis is, after all, an independent
>internet website.

No - we are one project at one website. It was a mistake to internationalize
based on subdomains because it incorrectly gives the impression that we are
on different websites. A much better system is to have internationalization
based on folders; http://wikipedia.org/en/ = English version,
http://wikipedia.org/de/ = German version, ect.

>I find it really boring and dull that all the wikis
>look and feel the same.

Because they are all part of the same project silly!

The current logo at wikipedia en has caused a great deal of problems, though,
because it has quotations in English.

I think we should have all discussion on new logo ideas on meta.

I personally like this idea:
http://he.wikipedia.org/upload/f/fd/WikiPedia_Hebrew_Logo_copy.png

Of course all the words will have to be taken out - those should never be part
of the image itself when that image is intended for use by many different
languages. HTML text translations of "Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia"
should be placed in a prominent place at the top of each page.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)