[Wikipedia-l] Revenue and ISBN Links

Toby Bartels toby+wikipedia at math.ucr.edu
Thu Jul 10 16:21:59 UTC 2003

Oliver Pereira wrote at first:

>Listing several booksellers and not picking any out for special treatment
>is all very neutral.

I'm not sure why we list individual booksellers in the first place.

Suppose that we followed that plan and added some features for our users.
For example, we could spend some effort ensuring that we found
all of the online booksellers that we could possibly find.
And then we listed the prices that the booksellers charge,
to help our users make wise economic decisions.
Wouldn't that be useful?

But that's exactly what AddALL and PriceSCAN do --
these are the links that we made on the /original/ booksource page.
Why link directly to Barnes & Noble or Amazon
when AddALL and PriceSCAN cover those -- and much more!
Even though we've added even more bookstores since,
we still don't have all of those on AddALL or PriceSCAN --
so we're still favouring certain ones.

Of course, adding the Japanese bookstores and the libraries
is another matter; they're not covered on AddALL or PriceSCAN.

BTW, I'm basing this on the list that appears on [[en:]];
presumably other languages have different lists,
for which this may or may not be applicable.

-- Toby