[Wikipedia-l] Re: Revenue and ISBN Links

Karl Eichwalder ke at gnu.franken.de
Thu Jul 10 03:52:33 UTC 2003

Jimmy Wales <jwales at bomis.com> writes:

> We already list Amazon and several others,

Unfortunately, that's not the "we" I seem to belong to.

> and we've consciously made the choice not to boycott anyone or have
> any particular editorial policy on this.

There are many, many more bookstores, give them a chance!

> I think that's the right thing to do, because it's really outside our
> mission to make controversial political statements about booksellers.

Refusing to take a posisition is a political statement, too.  The
classical encyclopaedians took a position: they promoted enlightment.
But "we" seem to tell the user, it does not matter where to buy books.

> If you think they are not evildoers, then there seems to be no
> problem.  If you think that they *are* evildoers, then at least this
> will help to reduce their profits.

No, it will not: you just spend some marketing money to increase your
profit.

--
http://www.gnu.franken.de/ke/                            |    _-\_<,
ke at suse.de (work) / keichwa at gmx.net (home)               |   (*)/'(*)