[Wikipedia-l] hacker.wikipedia.org

Erik Moeller erik_moeller at gmx.de
Thu Jan 30 21:02:00 UTC 2003

hacker.wikipedia.org is a bad idea. The solution is not to create *yet
another Wikipedia* which we have to check, but to clean up meta, which is
currently used for purposes which are clearly beyond its mission (i.e.
whenever some unfixable idiosyncratic crap is posted to Wikipedia and the
person posting it insists on keeping it, the solution is "let's move it to
meta").

Meta should be about

- meta-project: discussing and formulating project-wide (i.e. not
language-specific) policies; organizing events, contests etc.
- meta-content: organizing and preparing content, e.g. templates; language
files
- meta-code: coordinating the development process - bugs, features etc.

I don't see why we have to use the SourceForge facilities except for CVS;
having a single place on meta to organize bugs etc. would probably be more
useful. The SourceForge UI is a mess, especially for newbies.

Personal essays should not be stored on meta, they can be stored as user
subpages in the respective language Wikipedia, or deleted.

Someone recently reorganized meta, it is already a lot cleaner than it was
a few months ago. If we move the personal stuff out and organize the rest,
it should be more than good enough for better coordinating development.
Activating subpages on meta might help.

Regards,

Erik