[Wikipedia-l] Escaping completion

Oliver Pereira omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 27 17:48:56 UTC 2003

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003, Andre Engels wrote:

> At the moment, when one puts the first part of a word between [[square
> brackets]], the word as a whole will become a link. Although I like that
> as a general principle, I think it would be good to have an opportunity
> to escape this, and give a possibility to have only the 'zoo' in
> [[zoo]]keeper be linking. This would especially be useful in a language
> like German, where complex terms are often formed by stringing words
> together into a single word, rather than in a sequence of words as is
> usual in English.

I think that having a link in only part of a word would look hideously
ugly! I noticed yesterday that someone had written "sub[[genre]]" in an
article ([[High fantasy]]), and that only part of the word had become a
link. I changed it to "[[Genre|subgenre]]". It looks much nicer now. :)

I also think it looks ugly when only *part* of a name, book title, etc. is
linked, or when there is a link within a heading. Is that just me...?

Oliver

| Oliver Pereira                            |
| Dept. of Electronics and Computer Science |
| University of Southampton                 |
| omp199 at ecs.soton.ac.uk                    |