[Wikipedia-l] my suggestions

Chuck Smith msochuck at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 24 23:34:28 UTC 2003

> Perhaps the solution to this little detail is that
> the Esperanto
> homepage needs to be internationalized in some way?

I think we should change the language names to their
names in their own language.  This might help.

> Can you give us more detail of exactly what you are
> proposing?

I propose the page that has a paragraph in English and
then the list of languages in a table.

> Do you propose removing the "tree" and "Selected
> articles" from
> www.wikipedia.org?  Where should we put them?

I don't really understand what you mean here.  Could
you clarify?

> Do you propose having the intro text, 2 sentences,
> in a whole bunch of
> languages?

Just the intro text in English and then links to each
language underneath.  I saw this in one of the
proposals.

> Do you propose browser-detection?  (Problematic for
> a number of
> reasons that many people have mentioned, but
> certainly a live
> possibility.)

No, no, no.  For one thing, that will have almost no
effect for Esperanto speakers.  I don't even know how
to change my own browser to eo, even if I wanted to,
and anyway I'd rather keep it in English even though
I'm more involved with the Esperanto project.  The
least that auto-detect could do is highlight my
language on the main page.

I'm sorry I can't give a more detailed description,
but this weekend is composed of day long committee
meetings, so I really don't have time... but there's
always a little time for Wikipedia.  :)  (Hey, new
slogan anyone?)  ;-)

Thanks,
Chuck

=====
You just can't not learn Esperanto!  :-)
Just Learn It! - http://www.lernu.net/
My Webpage: http://amuzulo.babil.komputilo.com/
Enciklopedio: http://eo.wikipedia.org/