[Wikipedia-l] wikipedia.org solution

Magnus Manske magnus.manske at epost.de
Thu Jan 23 17:59:34 UTC 2003

I just had a revelation (or a short circuit;-) about what to do about
the multi-language Main Page.

We set up a new variable (like "{{NUMBEROFARTICLES}}"); say,
"{{YOURLANGUAGE}}".

We write that into the first line of the www.wikipedia.org Main Page.

*If* your browser settings have a language other than EN as first
preference, this displays a line, saying "There's also a wikipedia in
XXX" (of course, in that language!).

If your browser default settings are EN, it doesn't show anything.

So, the US/UK users won't notice a difference, the Germans, French,
Spanish, and ... will see a line in their language (maybe with a nice
background), guiding the way to "their" wikipedia.

Magnus