[Wikipedia-l] Tic, toc, tic, toc - Approaching 100,000 English "articles"

Tom Parmenter tompar at world.std.com
Sun Jan 19 00:56:56 UTC 2003

Why not wait until we have 120,000 articles and then announce that we
have 100,000?

I like the "we are working on 89,375 articles".  I do not share the
disdain for stubs, any more than I disdain a bud on a rose bush, but
if we subtract the redirects, discount the Rambot articles and the
stubs by 10 or 15 per cent, then, if we wait a bit, we can honestly
claim to have 100,000 real articles and 20,000 under construction, and
every one of the 120,000  open to further expansion.

Diddling around with the definition of "article" is not in the Wiki
spirit, but undercounting and modestly claiming less than we could
legitimately claim seems quite acceptable to me.

Tom Parmenter
Ortolan88