[Wikipedia-l] Open-site.org

Fred Bauder fredbaud at ctelco.net
Thu Jan 9 18:08:32 UTC 2003

>Variety is good, but I don't see a point in just *writing* an article on
>a topic if there's already an article somewhere else, available under
>the same (?) conditions, that can be changed or expanded.

Ah, but the conditions are not the same. On open-site one applies to be an
editor and in a specific area. God knows what the criteria are. On
wikipedia the article can be expanded or changed by anyone, even an
anonymous editor (or perhaps cannot be changed if someone is strongly
defending it). On open-site only an approved editor can change it and who
knows how the interaction between editors would be structured.

Two varieties
>of the same topic would also be bad for the user, because he'd have to
>look up both.

Depends on his needs and the importance of the lookup.

We'd be back to the "encyclopedia google", eventually ;-)

Under the gnu licence that's where were going anyway.

>Where variety would be useful is in the *presentation* and
>*reliability*. That's why I suggested the merge of that new project with
>the not-really-existing Sifter.
>
>Magnus

True

Fred