[Wikipedia-l] Britannica

tarquin tarquin at planetunreal.com
Sun Jan 5 14:11:51 UTC 2003

I've seen a lot of recent 1911-Brit imports with the followign footer:
//

/
/

/> This entry was originally from the 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/1911_Encyclopedia_Britannica>.
/

However,
http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia%3A1911_Encyclopaedia_Britannica
says:

Although the /Encyclopædia/ is not copyright and you can copy its
phrasing directly if you wish, Wikipedia cannot /advertise/ the presence
of this material using the word "Britannica", which is a trademark
<http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trademark> of Encyclopædia Britannica,
Inc. Of course, we can still /use/ that phrase within our pages to give
proper credit.

I'm a bit baffled by this. I've seen many older pages that say:

 > This entry is from a 1911 encyclopedia

So we can't use their name, but we credit them? Does that mean "don't
use their name EXCEPT to credit them", or "don't use their name and
credit them in an abscure fashion that dones't use their trademark"?

Wiki Karma:
anything written by the mysterious user Fwapplet.
repairing links to Henry IV plays
how many typos do you want?