[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Wikitech-l] Anons can no longer make minor edits

Lee Pilich pilich at btopenworld.com
Sat Jan 4 16:40:38 UTC 2003

At 12:00 04/01/2003 +0000, Cunc wrote:
> > It is my understanding that this was the consensus, so I have disabled
> > the "minor edit" checkbox for anonymous users. The reasoning here is
> > that an anon can never gain the trust necessary to have his edits
> > ignored by some users.
> >
> > Note that the checkbox is simply not rendered, an anon can theoretically
> > still get an edit marked as minor with URL magic. I'll try to get to
> > that later.
> >
>This is not good. Please change it back until this can be better discussed.

"Until it can be better discussed"? What does that mean? Do we have to wait
until a full moon or something?

Seriously - I for one do actually trust some anon users enough to ignore
their edits, and don't really think this is such a great change. I should
think that people who are concerned about cleaning up vandalism and so on
have minor edits switched on anyway, so isn't this just going to thrust a
lot of edits that minor-edit-ignorers don't care about onto their Recent
Changes pages? I may be wrong, but I think the majority of anon users can
be trusted (just as the majority of signed in users can be trusted).

I note, by the way, that a lot of anon users do still to be making edits
marked as "minor". So has this really been implemented?

LP (camembert)