[Wikipedia-l] what to do with the money?

Chuck Smith msochuck at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 12:31:06 UTC 2003

> Some problems; What are we going to do with all that
> money? If we can't spend it, would that jeopardize
> our
> nonprofit status? I think it would be a step
> backwards
> for Wikimedia to become a for-profit organization.

I think we should hire full-time editors especially
for the non-English Wikipedias.  The English Wikipedia
had a full-time Larry Sanger to help jump-start the
Wikipedia, but the other languages (to my knowledge)
never had such luxuries.  As I said before, I would
propose Brion Vibber (technical support, non-English
wikis) and Arno Lagrange (Esperanto Wikipedia editor)
as full-time employees.  Arno is now trying to start a
Wikipedia organization in France to be able to legally
work full-time for the Esperanto Wikipedia.

Also, I've never heard of having too much money as
being a problem.  I mean, we're a foundation!  Lots of
foundations have millions of dollars...  We could use
the money to hold Wikipedia seminars and conferences.
We could also use the money to finance other worthy
educational projects like other foundations do.
"Sponsored by Wikimedia"

Chuck

=====
We are the Esperanto speakers who say "Ni!"
http://www.esperantomobilo.org/