[Wikipedia-l] Monolithic articles vs parents and daughters

Peter Jaros rjaros at shaysnet.com
Fri Dec 19 21:49:22 UTC 2003

On Friday, December 19, 2003, at 01:57  PM, Daniel Mayer wrote:

> I just want to clarify my statement that it is best to divide topics
> into
> digestible bits. I think this should only be considered for most
> articles
> once they reach the 20 KB (minus markup) size and the resulting
> daughter
> articles are not stubs. Although some articles demand a larger size
> just to
> summarize all the main points and clearly link to daughters that have
> move
> detail on each of those points.

I'll agree with that, and amend my previous opinion to do so (for all
of you keeping score at home).

Sometimes it's appropriate to have a long article, sometimes not.  I
think it's foolish to set a definite size limit as a 'rule', but as a
rule of thumb I agree.

I don't like the idea of daughter articles, though.  Sounds too much
like another word for subpage to me.  If it doesn't work out of
context, it should be a subpage, or, if we don't want subpages, we
should include it in the main article.  Personally, I'd rather use
subpages in this case, but the consensus seems to be against me.

Peter

---
Funding for this program comes from Borders without Doctors: The
Bookstore Chain That Sounds Like a Charity.
		--Harry Shearer, Le Show