[Wikipedia-l] A quick thought about 1.0

Ramanan Selvaratnam rama at ukfsn.org
Wed Dec 17 19:51:22 UTC 2003

Hi,

I am trying to get a understanding of this issues covered in this
thread.
But some  poor soul seemingly accepted this is far too much to look into
and unsubscribed. Dont wish this inquiry to end up like that.

I want to use the wiki to define UTF-8 adoption related issues in my
locale where there are already two non standard locales remaining far
too long after their time is up.
UTF-8 adoption it so happens goes hand in hand with free software.

This is the only way for my locale to be represented in a meaningful
way. Otherwise (as you might already know.. an economically deprived
domain brings social problems apart from IT access) the ill thought out
experiments by few in the ruling classes will rule over the the
information flow of future too.

With all due respect for the minds behind FDL and all, before you carry
on about  '1.0'  could i find out how  and what policies apply for i18n
aspects?

I was hoping to create enough info on i18n, very specifically on l10n
issues  and the accessories and issues related to translations as
priority tasks. Then there will be links to content like en:glibc,
en:iconv and external links like freedesktop.org.
Hope is such  a collections of concepts will be persistent like the
FOLDOC.

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 17:33, Jimmy Wales wrote:

> The idea is that Wikipedia can be *more* expansive once we have a 1.0
> "certification" process to keep people happy.

I like this. This is will be useful for what I have in mind.

>  No one can argue "that
> doesn't belong in an encyclopedia" after that, because the simple
> response is "well, it may not belong in 1.0, but it's o.k. for
> wikipedia raw".

Regards,

Ramanan