[Wikipedia-l] Permalink? was RE: [WikiEN-l] Brilliant prose rename brainstorm

Delirium delirium at rufus.d2g.com
Fri Dec 12 23:08:17 UTC 2003

The Cunctator wrote:

>That reminds me...can we add a little <permanent URL for this version>
>at the bottom of the article pages?
>
>We can find the link to the archived copy of previous versions, but
>there's presently no way to make a hard link to the presently displayed
>version.
>
>That would be a very simple step in making Wikipedia usable as an
>"authoritative" resource, for one thing.
>
>It's also helpful for internal discussions if you want to have a
>discussion comparing different versions of the same entry.

Yes, this would be very helpful!  I've actually before gone in and made
zero-edits (rearrange whitespace or something) so that the "current"
version gets bumped into the history and I can refer to it specifically
in a talk-page discussion (as in "at least in the current version [1],
there is odd wording in the 3rd paragraph").  Would be much more direct
if the current version also was referenceable by a revision-number.

-Mark