[Wikipedia-l] Re: [Sodipodi-list] Wikiclips

Bryce Harrington bryce at osdl.org
Wed Dec 10 18:47:18 UTC 2003

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Toby Bartels wrote:
> >Diffing images is kinda hard. For vector image formats it's a little
> >easier, and for stuff like SVG it might actually be practical, but for
> >most purposes it's _extremely_ difficult to automatically detect the
> >"difference" between two images. I doubt it would be worth the effort.
>
> I was hoping that for SVG it would be practical and even useful,
> and if one is using SVG images, then maybe svgwiki already does this.
> But for PNGs and JPEGs?  Ha!  No, not worth the effort.

It is possible to diff bitmap images, as this is done with motion
detection in security cameras.  For example, I took a testsuite of SVG's
from W3C and ran them through Sodipodi, then used the image differ to
find where Sodipodi differed from the spec, using a tool called
motiontrack:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/motiontrack/

Bryce