[Wikipedia-l] non-English Wikipedias

Daniel Mayer maveric149 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 5 03:49:42 UTC 2003

Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
>But the English Wikipedia isn't NPOV at all !
>Especially on anything related to Middle East
>conflict, it almost invariantly has Israeli bias,
>probably because of relatively large number
>of American Jewish contributors, compared to
>hardly any Arab contributors.

This is more of a side-effect of the fact that our continued overwhelming
reliance only on informal methods of conflict resolution results in the
selection of POV by people who are very motivated about certain subjects and
the selecting out or marginalizing of the POV of people who are less
motivated.

We could handle that when we were small (everybody could help with the handful
of slow-moving disputes we used to have), but it is much more difficult to do
this now that we are large (there seems to be dozens of disputes at any
moment now and people are generally less civil and more quick to revert than
they were when all the heavy users knew each other).

Thus we need to set-up mediation and arbitration procedures to deal with the
caseload.

Growing pains, that's all.

-- Daniel Mayer (aka mav)