[Wikipedia-l] Downloading wikipedia (was: sidebar links)

Axel Boldt axel at uni-paderborn.de
Sun May 19 19:54:37 UTC 2002

> It might really make people think if they can click
> Download Wikipedia!  :o)  What would you think of
> adding this to the sidebar?

That would be cool. It should direct to a server where you could
download either the raw SQL data for people who want to do fancy
things, or a ready-to-browse static HTML tree (with edit, special and
history links pointing to wikipedia.com).

Jimbo, could you start your cron script again to make regular database
dumps? We could then easily write a script which produces such a static
HTML tree.

mysqldump --user="XXX" --password="XXX" --opt wiki cur old linked unlinked | gzip -9 > wikipedia_dump_`date +%Y%m%d`.sql.gz

(if the mysql database is called wiki)

Axel