[Wikipedia-l] Collection copyrights

Mark Christensen mchristensen at HTEC.com
Wed May 1 14:16:54 UTC 2002

This raises an important question in my mind.  The Wikipedia FAQ says that
"the articles" are licensed under the FDL, but says nothing about the
collection.  Is it, like all of the articles, licensed under the FDL?

It has been my understanding that Bomis has released the collection under
the terms of the Free Document License, but, as I did  a quick search of the
list archive and on the wikipedia I find that it shows no specific text
stating that this is the case.

I did find an e-mail from Larry Sanger saying that he thought everybody
assigned copyright to Bomis, and then Bomis which licensed everything thing
under the GNU/FDL.  I think the part about copyright assignment has been
hashed out sufficiently on this list, but I would like clarification on the
issue of the license status of the collection.

My best guess is that it is. I'm fairly certain that Jimbo and Larry
intended for the entirety of the "free encyclopedia" to be licensed under
the FDL.  If I am correct in assuming that the FDL also applies to the
collection copyright, then I'd amend Lee's analysis to mention that: though
copyright law gives Bomins the right to control the use of the wikipedia
collection, the FDL explicitly allows republication and modification.
Therefore anyone who downloads and republishes the wikipedia would not be in
violation of copyright unless they violate the terms of the FDL.  Moreover,
since it is only the FDL that grants anybody the right to reproduce
Wikipedia articles at all, it is not particularly burdensome to be required
to abide by the FDL if somebody publishes enough of it to violate Bomis's
collection copyright.