[Wikipedia-l] Duplicate pages.

Brion VIBBER brion at pobox.com
Sat Apr 27 04:01:45 UTC 2002

Eirik Bakke wrote:

> I'm fairly new to wikipedia, and this mailinglist, so I don't really
> know if this is the appropriate forum for this, but here goes;
>
> I'm attempting to flesh out the area of music genres, however I've ran
> into a problem I cannot seem to find a way to get around. When
> entering artists of various musical genres, alot of the entries I want
> to make, already have alot of information on a totally different
> subject (Fish, Genesis,Delerium,Live, Emperor ect). The obvious
> solution would be to add it to the existing pages under a different
> meaning of the word, however I feel that would do more harm then good
> on alot of topics. (Writing about progressive rock under the entrance
> for "Fish") Is there any workaroud for this? Ideally creating several
> pages for the same topic, that would both show up on a search, without
> the clutter of having elerything on the same page. This problem will
> only get more common as the numbers of articles increase.

That which you seek you shall find explained in
[[wikipedia:Disambiguation]].
http://www.wikipedia.com/wiki/wikipedia:Disambiguation

Most likely in this case you'd want to create pages such as [[Fish
(band)]] (I thought it was "Phish"... There's already an article under
that title; is it the same group?), [[Genesis (band)]] etc, with a brief
note and link from [[Fish]], [[Genesis]], etc.

Note that at the bottom of [[Genesis]], there's already a brief note
about the band with a link to a non-existent page [[Genesis/group]].
That's an ugly link using the old slash-subpage style from before
parentheses worked in wiki titles, feel free to change it.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)