[Wikinews-l] rules for new wikinews sites

Jimmy (Jimbo) Wales jwales at wikia.com
Wed Mar 2 16:42:58 UTC 2005

I am of the opinion, based on the (lack of) progress on
fr.wikipedia.org that we need to seriously reassess the "new site"
rules.

First, it needs to be harder to start, and it needs to be demonstrated
that the existing wikipedia community supports it.  This is important
because we want to transmit the values of quality and neutrality to
the new sites.

Second, it needs to be made clear that if a site falls inactive, it
will be closed.

----

Separate issue: the logo *really* needs to say BETA on it, ASAP.  This
is already causing confusion.  People have come to me demanding to
know why I authorized that Wikinews no longer be in beta, but I did
not.  It needs to be in beta for probably 2 years.

--Jimbo

--
"Pianosa is een Italie" - first words of 50,000th article on nl.wikipedia.org