[Wikinews-l] Re: Chinese Wikinews: board action required

Craig Franklin craig at halo-17.net
Fri Apr 22 01:25:28 UTC 2005

Scríobh Eric Moeller:

> There has now been a vote, organized by Formulax, among Chinese language
> Wikimedians on whether there should be a Chinese Wikinews.

I think it's interesting, but I hope that the board would withdraw support
for a Wikinews that would have as a central plank of policy, a rule which
conflicts with NPOV.  Unfortunately, the Chinese government suppressing an
NPOV Chinese-language news site is a very real possibility.  I think that no
zh.wikinews is still a better option than a zh.wikinews that panders to the
communist government.

With that said, what other Chinese-language resources are there on the
Internet?  I still think that a free, NPOV Chinese-language news site could
be a valuable resource, even if it gets blocked within the PRC, for Chinese
people living abroad, and in democratic countries where large numbers of
people can read the language (Singapore, Taiwan, etc).  So, it could still
be a useful thing, even if it gets censored within communist China.

But a Wikinews in any language that has "exceptions" to NPOV?  No thanks!

- Craig Franklin  ([[en:Lankiveil]])

Craig Franklin
PO Box 764
Ashgrove, Q, 4060