[Wikinews-l] "Fair Use"/"Fair Dealing" graphics

Amgine amgine at saewyc.net
Tue Apr 12 18:01:41 UTC 2005

I submitted (in round-about fashion) the following to the Juriwiki-l list:
----

I'm going to give this the brief treatment:

1. Wikinews uses Commons to store all uploads of images, etc. This is a
good implementation, one I do not think should be changed.
2. Commons does not allow any forms of fair use, including publicity
photographs of public figures, corporate logos, or screen caps which do
not show software ({{free screenshot}}).

Wikinews needs to have the ability to include some forms of fair use
graphics, for example a lead article
http://en.wikinews.org/w/index.php?title=South_African_former_apartheid_party_dissolves&oldid=43981
which includes an image of Marthinus van Schalkwyk from the South
African Government - an image which will soon be deleted on commons
because it is licensed as non-commercial. And
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/MSN_Encarta_introduces_wiki-like_enhancements
which scooped other tech news sources and has been picked up and linked
to by them, and used to have images showing the security breach we
reported first.

Wikinews has developed a proposed Fair Use policy at
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Policies_and_guidelines/Fair_use
which is fairly blunt, and a further guideline for images at
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Policies_and_guidelines/Image_use_policy
which we hope could cover fair use images on Wikinews itself.

Is there a legal justification for not allowing fair use images? Is
there any way to allow fair use images for Wikinews?

Amgine

----