[Wikinews-l] request/suggest: urgent modification to wikinews page template

jacques.divol jacques.divol at laposte.net
Fri Apr 8 10:03:08 UTC 2005

Le 8 avr. 05, à 06:12, shevek at bur.st a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I've just joined this list, sorry I don't know what discussion there
> may have
> been, or any protocols I should observe.
>
> I have an urgent request/suggestion. We need to point out more clearly
> that
> content is user-written, and may change.
>
> This is urgent to me personally because I have a source who is
> skeptical of
> providing quotes because they may be edited to misconstrue the
> position of the
> source.
>
> This is valid, and will reduce our access to live sources.
>
> And we have an ethical and usability issue to deal with. Ethical, I
> will not
> even argue, I think it is obvious.
>
> Users who do not understand the multi-user, realtime contribution
> nature of the
> site may have trouble adjusting as they find their work amended.
> Forewarned,
> their expectations would be more in line with their experiences, and
> less
> problems arise.
>
> And there are legal issues I suppose as well, if the case occured that
> my
> potential source is afraid of. I notice that even our disclaimers page
> is
> blank, but in reality it is not going to be effective to have this
> info hidden
> away on the disclaimer page (although I will try to find some time to
> put some
> disclaimer).
>
> So what I would ask is that we amend the line "From Wikinews, the free
> news
> source (BETA)" which appears on every page to something similar to
>
>> From Wikinews, the free, user-written news source that
> [[Wikinews:Wikinews_needs_you%21|anyone can edit]] (BETA)
> <BR>Warning: content changes in realtime - refresh
> [[Special:Recentchanges|recent changes]] tracker to see latest
> amendments
>
> OK, that is a bit long, the first line is the important part.
>
> Can someone please make a change like this asap, then perhaps we can
> come up
> with better text after some discussion. I would like to be able to
> assure my
> source that readers cannot misconstrue our content as authoritative.
>
> Simeon

Hi Simeon,

I do not think that it's mandatory to write  this message "You need a
driver licence to use this"  on a car wheel, do you ?
  you know some messages writen into microwave owens give VERY BROAD
smiles on French people faces, impossible to fight against that it's
genetic i think ... ;) sorry ... (putting cat, baby, dog into owen seem
so... silly !,  pffff sorry )

Yes, I know that Wiki rules are not into common sense knowledge today,
but, but, but.

Anyway, you can't, as standard user, trash or completly undo article
into wiki. (except if you are a Power Being, i am not :)

Anyway, i think that your source ask for MORE security, fiability and
quality on wikinews than in Real Reality newspapers, don't he/she ?
(ok, it's the goal but need time and willing peoples)

it's my POV ... :)

Jacques,with a twisted humour sense for a very serious case.