[Wikimediaau-l] Spam filter

Angela beesley at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 17:16:32 UTC 2006

On 6/7/06, Enoch Lau <elau8465 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm, did you guys get the spam as well?

It went into my spam filter

> Is there any way we can filter this
> stuff out from the mailing list?

I'm not sure how it got through. The list is set to moderate any
non-subscribers. It's possible the spammers subscribed to the list, in
which case moderating new subscriptions or new users would help.

On 6/7/06, Mark Ryan <ultrablue at gmail.com> wrote:
> The list admin
> just needs to unsubscribe them, and turn off automatic moderation of
> new mailing list subscribers.

They're not currently subscribed. I don't know if they ever were. I
agree turning on moderation would make sense if this continues to be a
problem.

On 6/7/06, Stephen Bain <stephen.bain at gmail.com> wrote:
> IIRC Angela should be able to unsubscribe people, or even better put
> them on moderation (that way their mail fails silently on their end).

In theory, I can since I have the overall mailman password, but Nathan
Carter is actually the admin for this list.

On 6/7/06, Mark Ryan <ultrablue at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nah, you need to put them on auto-discard to do that. It's not the
> same as moderation; with moderation, they get bounced an email telling
> them their message is in the queue and it gives them a link to cancel
> the email.

While the spam levels are very low, it's probably better to keep
unsubscribers on old rather than on auto-discard in case anyone wants
to post proposals to the list but don't realise they need to
subscribe.

Angela.