[Wikimania-l] Quality (was: Welcome to the "Wikimania-l" mailing list)

Poor, Edmund W Edmund.W.Poor at abc.com
Wed Oct 26 16:17:31 UTC 2005

> Welcome to the Wikimania-l at Wikipedia.org mailing list!

Thank you. For a robot, you're very polite. No doubt a human being
programmeed you to do that.

But computers do not create quality; people do. People use computers as
tools to reach objectives. A wiki cannot organize knowledge, any more
than a hammer and saw can build a house. A carpenter can build a house
*using* a hammer and saw.

Contributors can build an encyclopedia *using* wiki collaboration tools.

I am most interested in how Wikipedians can organize and present
knowledge in a way that serves humanity.

My special focus has been on resolving conflicts arising from contrary
points of view (POV). This is a topic I'd like to speak on, at the
Boston conference.

Uncle Ed