[WikiEN-l] Quitting Wikipedia and wanted you to know why.

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 20:31:29 UTC 2006

On 10/8/06, charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
<charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Stephen Streater wrote
>
> > If this project becomes boring,
> > interesting people won't contribute.
> >
> > There is a general distrust of dynamism,
> > and this is a cultural flaw here which I am
> > happy to do my bit to neutralise.
>
> There is something to this. We still need 'be bold!'. There are probably still substantial areas of content to open up, and the pioneers need something less plodding than just mumbling policy as a mantra.

I agree that there are large areas of content to open up which still
remain.  Materials science and engineering are areas I didn't really
know were as weak as they are until relatively recently (I didn't
really look at them all that much, i have all the reference books
memorized...), for one example.  I'm sure that others are noticing
such things around the edges.

Putting content in isn't boring me; the stress of some of the
"administrative stuff" is boring me, and I can't get away from paying
attention to that because things keep coming up which are arguably
important.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com