[WikiEN-l] Fleshlight

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Oct 9 22:32:19 UTC 2006

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> Unilateral deletions are performed hundreds of times a month by
> Wikipedia Admins on the basis of their own judgement.  Perhaps I
> shouldn't find it shocking that some [[troll (Internet)|opportunist]]
> found it useful take advantage of Danny's high profile in order to
> play out a little bit of performance art.
 >
 > It is unfortunate and uncharacteristic to see you equate the elevation
 > of experienced judgement and consideration over strict policy
 > conformance with a lack of deference to the community.

I think that a significant amount of the confusion here has to do with
it being a little unclear whether this was intended as a WP:OFFICE act.
  It was done under Danny's normal account, with no reference to
WP:OFFICE, so I think it is safe to assume this was Danny acting in his
capacity and a long standing and widely respected editor exercising
editorial judgment in a manner consistent with our longstanding policies
of being bold.

It just so happened, as it turns out, that it was triggered by a call to
the office.

> However, I would expect that our long term participants could stand
> together, .. that they could see the clearly good intentions of each
> other, and not allow petty difference of opinion get in the way of
> friendship, respect, and our over arching goals (which I think we
> *all* agree does not include Wikipedia being turned into a free
> advertising forum).

This is one of the finest paragraphs in this entire thread.

--Jimbo