[WikiEN-l] Quitting Wikipedia and wanted you to know why.

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 09:04:36 UTC 2006

On 06/10/06, Parker Peters <onmywayoutster at gmail.com> wrote:

> And every one of the admins on wikipedia, myself included, has been guilty
> of it at one point. Some are more guilty than others. Some are jerks 100%
> of
> the time. Some have become so obsessed with their pet sockpuppet, be it
> Enviroknot, Freestylefrappe, Willy on Wheels,  Entmoots,  Pigsonthewing,
> JarlaxleArtemis, Karmafist, Lir, PoolGuy, or whatever else their pet
> sockpuppet of the week is that they are no longer useful

While you may have some valid points concerning the overzealous use of
blocking, I can't agree that "every one of the admins... has been guilty at
one point". Some admins prefer to avoid using blocks and getting involved in
arbitration for the reasons you state.

Your notion that users are blocked for speaking out is not true, I've not
seen it and can't imagine it happening without the blocker being chastised.
I, for one, have "spoken out" against over-zealous use of blocking,
anonymous editors' rights, etc. and have only, in response, received
civilised discussion.
--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)