[WikiEN-l] Citationgate: expertise and verifiability

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Mon Oct 2 11:20:43 UTC 2006

 "Laura Scudder" wrote

> I'm am very pro-citation when it helps us build a better encyclopedia,
> but I'm anti-"let's footnote everything even though it appears in any
> textbook on the subject and is totally uncontroversial, just to
> satisfy a process decision".

I think it's a horrid idea to have any policy on this which would allow people to spam us with inline references, for example, to their version of The Great American Calculus Text.

Those books _all_ follow the pattern set down by Thomas of MIT in the 1950s. They are alike as two peas in a pod. They are written for money, and contain material that has all been known for 150 years.

Charlee