[WikiEN-l] Creation of user photographs

Phil Boswell phil.boswell at gmail.com
Tue May 23 15:59:01 UTC 2006

Peter Mackay wrote:

> Mmmm, but does requesting someone to take a photograph actually give you
> copyright over the resulting image? I don't think it does, without
> explicit
> assignment.

If you were on holiday and asked a passing random person to use your camera
to take a picture of you, I suspect that you would be quite surprised were
they to attempt to assert copyright over the picture.

Many people are in the habit of acquiring pictures in this manner : I don't
suppose there can be more than a handful who would ever even contemplate
this scenario as more than a mental exercise, and if there is a single one
who would consider forcing said passer-by to sign something forfeiting
copyright, they would rightly be judged a lunatic.

HTH HAND
--
Phil